NetBeans Platform DevelopmentThis website tracks the development of the NetBeans Platform. If you're a module developer, not a platform developer, you probably want to look at NetBeans API website.
Works in progress
What it does now, what is wrong, what is right, what might be fixed, what the possibilities are, ... A document in progress, only for the curious at this stage. Analysis & Proposal
Looks HowTo : document describing usual usecases for the looks API including short examples of code.
Master File SystemPlatform submodule located at openide/masterfs
- Requirements, SPI, API,...
- Performance assessment of the API and implementation
Window System Rewrite
See the main window system page.
- Draft UI spec
- Draft implementation design
- All tasks related to reimplementation of PropertySheet as a JTable (the current thinking) are tracked under umbrella issue 29447 in IssueZilla
- Status: already merged to the CVS trunk
Improvement of Wizard API
- Wizard API - Summary of problems, requirements and plans (document in progress).
- All issues corresponding in Wizard API improvement are tracked under umbrella issue 26552 in IssueZilla.
Compatible DevelopmentThere is a lot of different products build around NetBeans. Most of them with completely independent schedule and different needs. For some of them getting patches and functionality updates is desirable, for most of them compatibility is a requirement. We have to find how to develop and deploy different parts of NetBeans system in a way that will be compatible and will leverage the most from future updates.
The suggested solution is based on
clustering the functionality of each
product to smaller parts developed at once (platform, java support, xml support,
web support, etc.) and composing the resulting product from few such
is part of the necessary
requested during architecture reviews during release 3.5.
Modularize NetBeans PlatformDone for NetBeans 5.0. There is no openide anymore. See umbrella issue 19443 or the modularize document.
Seamless Integration with Native OSAnother issue initiated by architecture reviews during release 3.5 is to naturaly fit into the hosting operating system NetBeans and any product build on top of NetBeans runs in.
This means to distribute platform and other clusters in RPMs and Solaris packages (issue 32081) and better organize the file layout and directory structure of the installation (issue 32080). The solution is described in the installation proposal).
It is also necessary to follow the format of command line arguments and make it
POSIX compatible (issue 32053).
This will result in a change of arguments like
--branding. Related to this change is also a request to warn user
when a second instance of the application is started
using the same user dir
Solution to both of these problems is described in the
Global Progress Feedback
- tracked under an umbrella issue 27403
- Revised UI specification should come soon, in June
Infrastructure to support the new Options dialogThis work provides the infrastructure in the platform to support the implementation of the new Options dialog as defined in the UI spec
Details about the implementation should be added soon
Module clustersComing soon
Tips and ToolsComing soon
- NetBeans Performance Website
- Collected Java Practices: website collecting best Java coding practices, things like how to use assertions wisely
- Some thought provocative writings from Joel Spolsky: